A new mid-tier chipset is being introduced by MediaTek. In comparison to the Dimensity 920, the Dimensity 1080 offers superior performance, more efficiency and more robust camera capabilities.
Here, the camera capabilities of the processor represent the biggest advances. With the Imagiq ISP, the new Dimensity 1080 can handle picture data from sensors up to 200MP (up from 108MP previously). Hardware accelerated HDR video at up to 4K resolution is mentioned, however the 1080 already has this feature.
The performance of this 5G chipset is marginally improved by the Cortex-A78 performance cores running at 2.6GHz (up from 2.5GHz). The Mali-G68 GPU is still used to create the chipset. When compared to devices using the previous chip, benchmark scores could not significantly improve from a performance perspective.
The 1080 includes HyperEngine 3.0, much like the 920 and the chipset continues to handle sub-6GHz networks, Wi-Fi 6 and has the same AI Processing Unit. There are no new gaming-specific capabilities (APU).
The Dimensity 1080-powered devices, according to MediaTek, would start arriving in 2022’s fourth quarter.
- Leaked info showcases the design and specs of the Realme 10 Pro series Global variant
- Tecno Pova 4 scheduled to debut in India on December 7
- Google Pixel Fold may have just visited Geekbench as Google Felix
- Global sales figures of the Redmi Note series exceed 300 million units
- First Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 powered phone, Vivo X90 Pro+, officially goes on sale